Tuesday 12 August 2014

Breaking Bones Isn't Fun!

About six weeks ago I fell down some stairs and broke my ankle. I don't think I realised how long it would take to heal and get back to normal. But here's what's happened to me so far.
When I first broke my ankle and went to A&E they put me in the white cast. It was hard on the back but soft on the top and REALLY uncomfortable. I guess it had a bit of space inside because the swelling needed to go down, but that just meant my foot could move around in it and it was really weird.
I had that for two weeks and then I had it changed to the black cast. The colour choices for the second cast weren't great, unless you're a twelve year old girl, I didn't want bright pink! So I went with black. This one was much more secure, lightweight and was hard all the way round.
 Two weeks later I had the cast taken off! And they said I could start walking and putting weight on it, which I didn't do straight away because that sounded really scary!
My ankle was still really bruised and stiff after not being used for a whole month. I had hardly any movement in it.
After another week I went for my first physiotherapy session, which was great! She showed me some exercises I can do to help get the movement back and to stretch the muscles. I even managed to walk a few steps with my crutches.
And now after six weeks of not using it and only doing the little stretches and walking every now and then I feel like I can do so much more. I can put my shoes on, even though it is still slightly swollen. And I can walk a lot more, still with the crutches but it's a start!
I'm feeling a lot better now, than when it first happened. It was really hard getting used to being on crutches and not walking, now I guess it's hard getting used to walking again. But it's made me really happy to be able to put shoes on and walk. It's the little things! Now I just need to get better at walking and get back to work!

And here's a list of some things I have learnt about having a broken ankle while recovering, which I'm still doing now.
1. You end up with every colour bruise imaginable.
2. Showering is difficult, the first one is the hardest but then you get used to it.
3. People stare at you, which is weird!
4. You can only wear one shoe.
5. Getting up and down the stairs requires planning and a lot of effort.
6. If you need to carry something, you either push it along the floor, hold it in your teeth or get an assistant.

2 comments:

  1. The black colour of your cast was very nice.Has your ankle tottaly healed?I was in a cast too.I broke my wrist and thumb playing soccer.I had my third cast removed about 5 weeks ago.Best wishes and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmm, i like the collor from your cool plastercast and you have cute sexy toes xoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete